Note: The admission to Ignou M.Ed programme is not available right now
The Indira Gandhi National Open University offers admission to its Master of Education distance learning education programme every year during the January session.It has been designed and developed jointly by the Distance Education Council (DEC), IGNOU and National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE) and is of two years duration.
The university offers M.Ed through open and distance learning (ODL) mode under the School of Education(SOE). The entrance test is conducted by the university for admission to this programme every year in the month of August along with the B.Ed Entrance test.
Every year, the university invites the application from eligible students to take admission to M.Ed course mostly in the month of July by publishing an advertisement in local newspapers and on the university official website.
The last date to submit filled-in application form to the concerned Regional Centre can be checked from the advertisement.
Ignou M.Ed admission procedure:
The admission process is carried out regional Centre-wise/State-wise on the basis of the merit obtained in the entrance test conducted by university all over India. The admission process also depends upon the number of seats available under particular PSC.
Usually, the number of seats of each PSC is limited to 100 only. The complete detail about the programme can be checked in the IGNOU M.Ed prospectus which can be obtained from the nearest IGNOU Regional Centre by paying a fee of Rs. 1000/- at counter.
The prospectus can also be obtained via post from the Registrar (SRD), IGNOU, Maidan Garhi, New Delhi- 110068 or the nearest regional centre by paying a fee Rs. 1050/- through a Demand Draft/IPO in favour of IGNOU, payable at New Delhi/city of Regional Centre concerned.
The candidates can also apply for Ignou M.Ed admission by downloading the application form and prospectus from the official website of university. They need to send the duly filled-in application form along with a DD/IPO for Rs 1,050 in favour of IGNOU, payable at New Delhi / city of Regional Centre to the following address “Registrar (SED), IGNOU, Maidan Garhi, New Delhi – 110068” by registered post/speed post.
Programme Objective: It has been introduced with the aim to prepare the teacher educators and educational administrators/managers to to develop a global as well as a national vision for education in the modern concept of the 21st century,to equip them with modern technology which can be best applicable in teaching practices in the education system.
The goal is to develop experts in the field of education who will be capable of generating knowledge by the applying the scientific methods of investigation. It focuses on comprehensive and integrated professional development of teachers and other personnel engaged in educational management and administration.
The other details about this discipline has been mentioned below :
- Medium of Instruction: At the moment it is available is English but in future the M.Ed programme may be available in Hindi also. However, the students are allowed to write the answers in the term-end examination and assignments in Hindi.
- Duration of Programme : The minimum duration to complete the degree is 2 years and maximum is 4 years.
- Age Bar: There is no minimum or maximum age limit.
- Fee Details : The candidate need to pay the total fee of Rs. 40,000/- at the time of admission. They are advised not to pay the fee along with the filled-in application form. They will be communicated separately by university for admission and fee submission.
(Note: It is advised to check the M.Ed prospectus for current year to avoid any discrepancy in fee structure.) It is to noted that the fee should be paid only by Demand Draft(DD) drawn in favor of IGNOU payable at the city where the Regional Centre of the candidate is situated. Please mention your name and programme name in capital letters on the back of the Demand Draft to ensure proper credit of your fee to the relevant account.
Ignou M.Ed admission eligibility: The candidate seeking admission to this discipline should be having B.Ed. with fifty five percent marks. Also, they should be having 2 years of teaching /professional experience after completion of B.Ed programme in a Government/Government recognized school/NCTE recognized teacher education/research institution in education. The cut-off date for teaching/professional experience will be the last date of submission of filled-in application form.
Reservation: The reservation for SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer) and other categories shall be regulated as per the rules of the Central Government/State Government, whichever is applicable :
- The reservation for SC/ST/OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) and other categories shall be as per the rules of the Central Government.
- The candidate should submit his/her application form only at the Regional Centre concerned under whose jurisdiction/operational area the working school/educational institution falls.
- Masters’ Degree awarded without a first degree is not accepted for purpose of academic studies in IGNOU.
- As per Government of India Notification dated 7th March, 2013, the concession for the wards of Kashmiri migrants for admission during academic session 2013-14 shall be adhered to with regard to the following:
- Relaxation in cut off percentage upto 10% subject to minimum eligibility requirement.
- Increase in intake capacity upto 5% course wise.
- Reservation of at least one seat in merit quota in technical/professional institutions.
- Waiving of domicile requirements
Entrance Exam Admit Card / Hall Ticket : The hall tickets for the Ignou M.Ed Entrance test for the current year will be provided by university to all the applicants 10 days before the date of the Test.
In case any candidate do not recieve their hall ticket / admit card by post, he or she can download it from the website to appear in the examination.
The Indira Gandhi National Open University reserves the right to conduct the entrance test at different centres/change the examination centre of the candidates without assigning any reason thereof.
Entrance Result: The university takes almost 45 days after the date of entrance examination to declare the Ignou M.Ed entrance result. Sometimes, the it may take more time by the university in declaration of result due to various reasons. So, we advise to keep patience and keep visting the university website to check the result after the exam.
First Year Courses
|Course Code||Course Name||Credits|
|MES-051||Education : Philosophical and Sociological Perspectives||6|
|MES-052||Psychology of Learning and Teaching||6|
|MES-053||Educational Management, Planning and Finance||6|
|MES-054||Methodology of Educational Research||6|
|Optional : Any one course out of the following|
|MESE-057||Measurement and Evaluation in Education||6|
|MESE-058||Educational and Vocational Guidance and Counselling||6|
|MESE-059||Teacher Education in India : Growth and Development||6|
Second Year Courses
|Course Code||Course Name||Credits|
|MES-055||Comparative Education : National and International Perspectives||6|
|Optional : Any one of the following courses|
|MESE-060||Curriculum Development and Transaction||6|
|MESE-061||Open and Distance Learning Systems||6|
|MESE-064||Special Needs Education||6|
|MESE-066||Information Technology and Education||6|